Thursday, August 25, 2011

Upside Down Pizza Recipe


Upside down pizza. I remember my mom making a Pampered Chef Pizza in a Jar recipe that was delish. So when I found this recipe in a Family Fun magazine this week, I HAD to try it. I made a few changes to the  recipe, added more veggies like the zucchini, more onions... I'll write my changes below, and the original in ( ):

* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 cup chopped onion
* 1 cup chopped mushrooms
* 1 large zucchini cut in 1/2 inch chunks
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 lbs shredded chicken, I used leftovers (or 2 lbs ground turkey)
* 1 jar pizza sauce, 1 small can tomato paste ( or 2 (15-ounce) cans Italian-style tomato sauce)
* 1/2 c fresh basil, chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried basil)
* 1 cup mini pepperoni or chopped pepperoni
* 1 teaspoon pepper
* 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
* 1 (13.8-ounce) package prepared corn bread mix (or prepared pizza dough mix)



Instructions

1. Heat the oven to 400°. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the turkey and continue to cook and stir, breaking the meat into small pieces, until it is no longer pink, about 8 minutes.

2. Stir in the tomato sauce, basil, and pepperoni and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Add the pepper, then transfer the mixture to a 9- by 13-inch casserole dish.

3. Scatter the cheese on top and layer on the pizza dough. Bake the casserole until the dough is golden, about 20 minutes. To serve, spoon out portions with a large serving utensil.

Yes, I left it in the oven a little bit too long, but it was still so. good.  If you make it, I'd love to hear your changes or if you liked it!

2 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I've been on a recipe hunt lately. This looks awesome!

Gulcin said...

Hi! Just discovered your blog and this recipe look delicious!

Related Posts with Thumbnails