Thursday, August 19, 2010

Homefront: Making a Preschool Playroom for the Boys


I talked about kids room inspirations yesterday, so today, let me introduce you to what I am working with. I thought it best to have my blogging/computer station in the midst of the room, so that is where everything is centered around.

These are my cheap finds: $100~ish Craigslist hutch, two Walmart $25 bookcases, $10 garage sale chair, $10 garage sale student desk, $5 garage sale bookcase (we painted ivory), and a $5 goodwill toy chest. These black bookcases  are already scratched up and marred as soon as we got them out of the box, but I figured, they would be marked up quickly here anyways, and since they are black, nothing tragic should happen that a sharpie couldn't color over.


I was going to paint this hutch a shabby grayish white before I did the whole black bookcase flanking thing, so now I am thinking, paint it black to look like a wall unit. Or I could leave it natural... what would you do?


I still have some bulletin boards and artwork to set up on this big empty wall, maybe some pegs for superhero capes and such underneath those and then the train table to set up again. I'm still trying to decide about a playmat or area rug, for this large space that will be easy on the boys to play and learn.

Caleb even found the reading corner and got right at home fairly quickly.

This little den area meets with the breakfast nook and kitchen in an interesting way... like a triangle of roominess. That doorway leads to the 'formal dining room' that we won't use and the living room. Across from the dining table is the laundry room and hallway to the front door.

 An old Kick-n-vent vintage hood... anyone know anything about these? This home was built in the 60's

 More about that dresser piece, kitchen and table here... I hope you like our pipe cleaner fan extension pulls! Just one more thing on the to do list, get fan pulls. *post included in Censational Girl's Where Do You Blog Party.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this post! I'm trying to figure out a few things for my son and nephews play room as well in our tiny townhome

Kristina P. said...

I could really use some of those bookshelves.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Your home looks a lot like our old 1970s home we first bought in the Dallas area. I like the natural color of the hutch, but if you are set on painting it, paint it black and then paint a creme crackle over it. It'll blend into the black shelves as well as the side table you have.

Little Lovables said...

Oh my, I was thinking of that crackle idea too!

phillips phamily said...

The desk would be pretty painted. How about painting it black but do the back of hutch in the grayish white? Or the other way around?

I love how your boys have a place to play while you are getting dinner ready!

Little Lovables said...

yes, the back shelves of the hutch in a pale dove gray would be gorgeous...

kate blue said...

since the hutch houses kids stuff, I think a gorgeous shade of green {or even a shade of red} would give a pop of color to the space...

René said...

Yes, I agree, gray would be gorgeous. I'm loving that little school desk with the trellis pillow.

-Rene

Kate Riley said...

Hi Lisa, this is a fantastic wall for your family ! You're a Craigslist lover like me, what a great find ! I can see it black, bor white, ut I can also see it in a fresh color too, either way will look spectacular, especially with your fabric choices. Thanks so much for linking up this week!
Kate

Related Posts with Thumbnails