Sunday, July 12, 2009
Sweet Treats: Blackberry Cake and la tartine Recipes
When we visited my Grandma Smith's home in Georgia as a child, she lived on a bit of land that was surrounded by gorgeous blackberries bushes. We picked them so she could make the best blackberry sweets for us, but we usually ate those huge plum pieces of heaven freshly picked.
I saw this Blackberry Cake Recipe on Living Locurto and I had to share. Blackberries are a staple around our home, so anytime I come across a recipe for them, I can't wait to make it. Visit Living Locurto's site as well for tons of free graphics, recipes and creative ideas.
Black Berry Cake Ingredients
* 2 1/2 cups fresh blackberries
* 1 pinch of cinnamon
* 2 1/4 cups sugar (split)
* 1 cup softened butter
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 4 eggs at room temperature
* 3 cups self-rising flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 teaspoons lemon instant pudding mix
* 1 cup of milk
Black Berry Cake Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and lightly flour three round 8-inch cake pans and set aside. (I use baking spray with flour.)
2. Mix 1/4 of sugar, a pinch of cinnamon and blackberries in a bowl and set aside.
3. Combine flour, pudding mix and salt in a small mixing bowl.
4. Beat butter or margarine with a mixer at medium speed until it’s whipped and fluffy.
5. Add the remaining sugar (2 cups) and vanilla, beat well.
6. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
7. Add dry flour mixture and milk alternately, beating on low speed after each addition.
8. Place berries in cake pan.
9. Pour batter over the berries and lighting swirl with a spoon.
10. Lightly tap the cake pan on the counter until the batter has spread in the entire pan.
11. Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
12. Cool for 10 minutes before removing cake from pans.
13. When cake is completely cool, stack layers and ice the cake with butter cream icing.
Enjoy some blackberry cake! What is your favorite way to eat them? (follow links for yummy ideas) On ice cream, with cream and sugar, in a smoothie, salad, pork chops, jam or freshly picked? If you like yours baked, don't forget to check out the blackberry scone recipe I posted a while back :)
I couldn't pass up posting this blackberry sweet below!!